Chronicle of events
The idol installed here at Guruvayur temple considered to be 5000 years old and
lot of legends associated with it.
- Sreekovil and Mandapam renovated.
- Koothambalam and Nalambalam reconstructed.
- Western Gopuram constructed.
- Tantra Samuchaya written by Chennas Narayanan Namboodiri.
- Mentions of Kuruvayur in Tamil literature and Kokasandesam.
- Narayaneeyam composed
- Temple records available in Kolezhuthu script
- The central shrine rebuilt.
- Dutch raided Guruvayur and set fire to the Western Gopuram.
- Western Gopuram rebuilt by Panikkaveettil Ittirayicha Menon, Karyasthan.
- Dutch attacked and desecrated Trikkunavay ( Trikkana Mathilakam) to which Guruvayur
was a Keezhedam (Subordinate temple)
- Dutch again attacked Trikkunavay temple and the Devaswom dissolved.
- Zamorin became the supervising trustee with Mallisseri as the co-trustee of Guruvayur.
- Hyder Ali attacked Guruvayur.
- "Devadaya" from Hyder Ali through Madras Governor Shri. Srinivasa Rao.
- Tippu Sultan attacked Guruvayur - Utsavavigraha shifted to Ambalappuzha and Moolavigraha
to a safe underground place.
- September 17 - Reinstallation of the Moolavigraha after the victory of Zamorins
over Tippu with the help of British.
- 1892- Temple under the supervision of Court.
- Installation of Deepasthambam in front of the gate way.
- Government of Madras restored Devadaya appropriated by Tippu Sultan.
- The Eastern Gopuram rebuilt.
- Central shrine and mandapam covered with copper sheeting. A permanent flagstaff
with bell metal covering set up.
- Dispute started between trustees . Even temple closed for over a week.
- Chuttambalam, Vilakkumatam, Koothambalam and Sastha Shrine were renovated and
roofed with copper sheets.
- Compromise was arrived between trustees.
- Big bell was set up and reconstructed the Pathayapura (granary).
- Deepasthambam at Eastern Gopuram installed by Shri Chettur Sankaran Nair.
- A court of wards assumed the management of Zamorin's Estate including Guruvayur
- January 4th Nadayiruthal of elephant "Kesavan".
- Zamorins got back the administrative powers from the Court of Wards.
- A clear administrative scheme was framed by the High court of Madras with the
Zamorin once again as the head.
- Guruvayur Satyagraham started.
- Temple remained closed for 12 days without pooja, because of Guruvayur Satyagraham.
- Temple entry for all Hindus.
1952 - January 30
- Flagstaff completely enclosed with gold.
- Sree Krishna College started.
1970 November 30
- Huge fire devastated the Temple.
1971 March 9
- Guruvayur Devaswom Act. Replaced the 1930 Scheme enacted by the Hon'ble High Court
of Madras. The Kerala Government takes charge of the temple administration.
- The honor "Gajarajan" awarded to Kesavan on his Shashtiabda poorthi
1974 October 31
- The temple renovation after fire completed.
1978 March 2
- A regular bill passed in the Kerala Assembly with some modification to the existing
Guruvayur Devaswom Act - 1971.